How many students will be on each trip?
- Every program is set up to host 10-20 students with a 7:1 instructor to student ratio.
Is there any required work students must complete before the program?
- There is a pre-departure module that students will participate in with the Labs Instructor via Skype for open enrollment groups. Instructors will do quick introductions and lead an hour-long discussion to prep students for their expereince abroad.
- For school programs, the educational instructor will lead this discussion in the classroom prior to the summer departure.
Can my student get school credit for this program?
- School credit opportunities may be determined by the student's high school administrators. OneSeed Labs can sign a completion form for the hours of coursework successfully completed.
Do students need to bring their own laptop?
- OneSeed Innovation Labs are designed to be completed without the need for computers. Students are welcome to bring their own laptops if they wish to complete the curriculum on a computer.
Who qualifies to join a OneSeed Lab trip?
- Anyone entering their junior or senior year of high school is elegible to apply.
What does the application process entail?
- All students must fill out an application online during open enrollment. Students will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will be informed about whether they have been accepted or waitlisted by September 15th, 2018 for early enrollment, and November 30th, 2018 for regular enrollment.
- Labs staff are looking for students that express an interest in our core values: creativity, openness, resolve, and empathy. This is an exciting, intelectually challenging, and adventurous program, and we're looking for high school students who are up to the challenge!
How and when do I pay for the program?
- You can make a payment online for both the deposit and balance.
- Students will have two weeks to decide after they have been accepted to pay their deposit ($1,000). The balance is due 60 days from departure date.
Are there opportunities for financial aid?
- When you apply for the program, there is an option to apply for financial aid. You will be informed of your eligibility
What additional fees may be expected outside of the program cost?
- Additional costs may include flights, visas, immunizations, cancellation insurance, and snacks or souvenirs in country.
What is OneSeed’s approach to risk management and safety?
- Safety is rule number one, and our Labs team is dedicated to fostering a safe and welcoming environment for all high schoolers during their two-week program. Visit our Safety Abroad page for more information on our approach to risk management.
Are OneSeed Labs instructors certified in first aid?
- All OneSeed Labs Instructors are certified in Wilderness First Aid.
How are the groups chaperoned?
- There are a minimum of two instructors at all times. For groups larger than 14, an additional instructor will join the group. We offer 24 hr parent support via phone and email.
- For school partnership programs, we include a school representative on every trip.
Can I join as a chaperone on my student's trip?
- We do not utilize parents as chaperones in order to allow students the space and freedom to explore on their own. Parents are welcome to join for the final day of the program and can opt to join a OneSeed Expedition side trip.
- For more information on recommended post-Labs trips in Peru, Tanzania, and Nepal, contact us here.
Can parents and students stay in touch during the program?
- OneSeed Labs staff will send parents a daily email that includes a summary of progress, images, and a general update.
- Students with phone and computers may choose to use them when wifi is available, though we encourage everyone to unplug and focus on the curriculum and adventure in country.
Does my student's medical insurance cover them while abroad?
- We recommend checking with your insurance providor about your particular plan.
- OneSeed purchases Medical Emergency & Evacuation insurance for all students, but we strongly encourage clients to review the details of their plan and purchase additional trip cancellation insurance. The Medical Emergency and Evacuation insurance we provide only covers emergency events occurring in the destination country. Trip cancellation insurance is intended to protect you in cases of last-minute cancellation due to an injury, illness, or family emergency. The terms differ by cancellation insurance policy, so it is important to choose carefully.
How does airfare work?
- All trip leaders and students will meet at one of two designated departure cities (New York or Los Angeles), and all will fly together internationally.
- Parents are responsible for booking flights to the departure city, and a spot on the designated group flight to the program destination.
DO STUDENTS NEED ANY IMMUNIZATIONS OR MEDICINE?
- Talk to your physician and follow recommended CDC guidelines for Tanzania, Nepal, and Peru.
WHAT ARE THE ACCOMMODATIONS LIKE IN COUNTRY?
- All students will be staying in a local lodge or hostel in Cusco, Moshi, or Kathmandu during the beginning and end of the program.
- Students will stay in groups of four or more during the homestay portion of the program. Homestays are trusted partners or family-owned lodges and students are never housed alone.
- During the trek portion of the program, students will be sleeping in basic mountain lodges with shared dorm-style bunk beds and bathroom facilities. These lodges are simple but comfortable spots to rest your head after a long day of trekking.
What food is provided during the program?
- Food will vary from country to country, but students will have a great mix of delicious local dishes and some western style meals.
- OneSeed is able to accommodate most allergies and dietary preferences. If you didn't include this information on your registration form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We recommend any vegan students to pack extra protein bars.
What should students pack for their program?
What happens if I want to change programs or have to cancel?
- Switching programs will be based on availability before the total balance has been paid.
- If you cancel 60 days or more prior to your scheduled departure for this adventure then you may have the option to reschedule (based on availability) or be reimbursed the full cost of this adventure minus the non-refundable deposit.
- Any cancellations after 60 days are non-refundable. If your program must be canceled by OneSeed due to circumstances outside of your control (e.g. natural disasters, weather, etc.), we will work with you to reschedule at no extra cost. If rescheduling is not possible, you will be reimbursed the total amount of your purchase less 20% of trip cost.
Should I purchase cancellation insurance?
- Per the Assumption of Risk and Liability Waiver Agreement, if your trip must be altered at any point, you are responsible for any additional costs. Canceled flights and transportation strikes happen. We do our best to ensure that your experience is unaltered by handling the situation efficiently and smoothly. For complete terms and conditions, see here.
- We recommend reviewing optional trip cancellation and interruption insurance to cover expenses in these instances.